Introducing: Horseshoe Crabs in the Classroom, Take 2


During the 2011/2012 school year, we had a program called Horseshoe Crabs in the Classroom at our elementary school. This program is offered through the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and it's a great idea for a number of reasons - letting kids learn about these incredible pre-dinosaur animals while, maybe, helping add a few more of these amazing animals to the Chesapeake Bay.

Last year, we ended up with no live horseshoe crabs (HSC) and I think this was because of over-zealousness on my part for ridding the aquarium of an unwanted fungus or at least what I thought was fungus. The 4th graders, though, were very enthusiastic and they learned a lot about the critters even though they never saw a live one in their classroom. Sigh.

This year, though, now that the teacher (me) is a bit more experienced, I think we'll have better luck. So here's Take 2...

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July 24 - Another molt?

You know, I think they've molted again. I was away for a couple of days, my husband saved the day when the power went out (again!) and he replaced the batteries in the battery operated air pump. I hadn't looked at the little fellows since before I left but it looked like there were more molts in the tank. So tonight I took some photos - again in the glass bowl on the red table. Now you can actually see tails! Maybe they've made it to that point in their development where they look completely like horseshoe crabs and less like tail-less trilobites!






There they are. Some are molts but the ones with the eyes are definitely horseshoe crabs. They seem to be thriving. When I turn on the light, they seem to get more active - you can see more in the tank.

And, of course, I took a very quick movie with my iPhone:


I wish I had a better way to take videos, especially close-ups. Maybe I'll figure it out. Anyway, that's it for today. I am definitely see a lot more activity than last year. I think this tank could have 60 - 70 horseshoe crabs. Wow!


No comments:

Post a Comment