Introducing: Horseshoe Crabs in the Classroom, Take 2


During the 2011/2012 school year, we had a program called Horseshoe Crabs in the Classroom at our elementary school. This program is offered through the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and it's a great idea for a number of reasons - letting kids learn about these incredible pre-dinosaur animals while, maybe, helping add a few more of these amazing animals to the Chesapeake Bay.

Last year, we ended up with no live horseshoe crabs (HSC) and I think this was because of over-zealousness on my part for ridding the aquarium of an unwanted fungus or at least what I thought was fungus. The 4th graders, though, were very enthusiastic and they learned a lot about the critters even though they never saw a live one in their classroom. Sigh.

This year, though, now that the teacher (me) is a bit more experienced, I think we'll have better luck. So here's Take 2...

Sunday, June 24, 2012

June 24 - Rolling rolling rolling...

5 hsc eggs in this photo; look closely at the lowest
one on the sand - you can kind of see legs

Horseshoe crab eggs still in the eggs and in a plastic
spoon. If you squint your eyes you can see
legs sticking up from the one at the farthest left.
A close-up - now you can pretty clearly see the legs sticking up
in the egg in the lower left as well as maybe some legs
in the other eggs. Screen shots - what fun!


Pretty exciting day in the hsc tank world. I decided to take a few of the eggs out of the tank and get a closer look. I've had the eggs for 10 days now and they were looking different - more transparent around the edges - so I took some photos and a video with my iPhone. It was amazing! As my daughter said, "They look like little mushrooms," and indeed they do. The most astonishing thing to me, though, was that each of the 4 eggs was moving around on its own - rolling around! The water in the spoon wasn't moving and the spoon was on a table on the floor but they were tumbling around. 




The above picture is from May when I got to go to the Delaware Bay with the Green Eggs and Sand program. Here's what brand new, just laid horseshoe crab eggs look like, so you can compare.

(2.5 hours: mostly spent on photography and blog design)

No comments:

Post a Comment