Introducing: Horseshoe Crabs in the Classroom, Take 2


During the 2011/2012 school year, we had a program called Horseshoe Crabs in the Classroom at our elementary school. This program is offered through the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and it's a great idea for a number of reasons - letting kids learn about these incredible pre-dinosaur animals while, maybe, helping add a few more of these amazing animals to the Chesapeake Bay.

Last year, we ended up with no live horseshoe crabs (HSC) and I think this was because of over-zealousness on my part for ridding the aquarium of an unwanted fungus or at least what I thought was fungus. The 4th graders, though, were very enthusiastic and they learned a lot about the critters even though they never saw a live one in their classroom. Sigh.

This year, though, now that the teacher (me) is a bit more experienced, I think we'll have better luck. So here's Take 2...

Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 17 - Sand!

The eggs are still in the bucket of 10 ppt salinity water. The aerator is bubbling away. Yesterday I bought "live" sand for salt water tanks at an aquarium store and today I got the tank set up and will transfer the eggs to the tank tomorrow.

The bag of sand had a lot of water in it and I didn't know the salinity of that water. I didn't want to dump the sand in the 10 ppt water I had made on Friday because I didn't want the salinity to spike. So I put some sand in a quart container of plain tap water that had been treated for chlorides. The salinity was about 20. Ah! Good thing I didn't just dump the sand in the tank without checking. I drained maybe 2 pounds of the sand using coffee filters in a sieve. I added the drained sand to the bucket with plain water and found that the salinity was maybe 2 ppt. This led to adding about 1/2 cup of ocean salt to the bucket of plain water. After stirring it (it was very cloudy), I checked the salinity and it was fine. Yay!

The water is really cloudy - see photo - so I resurrected the water filter. I had wanted to change the foam filter but there weren't any at the aquarium store so this will have to do. The filter should remove the silt by tomorrow. I'll add the Biospira tomorrow and the eggs!


The top show how cloudy the water is. You can kind of see the aerator stone but that's it. The bottom photo is a side view and you can see the big blob that is the water filer. Here's hoping this looks clean tomorrow!



(4 hours: finding aquarium sand, testing for salinity of water and water from sand, mixing water, setting up aquarium, cleaning filer)

No comments:

Post a Comment